Wednesday, May 15, 2013

No Safety in Numbers

NO SAFETY IN NUMBERS
DANYA LORENTZ


My second book review started where I'm sure most people's do. I was in the teen section of Barnes and Noble, waiting for something to stand out. Against the background of dark, thick, hardcovers stood a thin, bright yellow paperback. It fit in the same genre as the others (I was in the action and disaster section), but it seemed so different, and not just visually. This was a book about regular people living in modern times, which is a refreshing change in this genre.

The book I am reviewing is No Safety in Numbers by Dayna Lorentz. Like I said before, it has elements of a YA action/disaster novel, but more realistic. The book is told through the eyes of four typical teenagers who were stuck in a shopping mall after a biological contaminate. I personally love that concept.

But did it live up to my expectations? Not really. The characters, for one thing, really didn't. They all had their individual motivation, which I appreciated. But some of them seemed a bit flat, or stereotypical of the genre. Switching perspectives only have us a new story, not a new personal view.

Also, the content itself wasn't too great. You know how when you have bad wifi connection your computer runs really fast, then impossibly slow, then so fast you can't follow where it's going? That is what this book felt like half the time. The slow moments were enjoyable, but felt out of place.

All in all, I would say this book is worth a try. It's a fast read, so I would recommend trying it when you get a chance. But that being said, I would not go out of my way to read it again.

-Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment